Carnivore269

Default Stocking the spice cabinet..

Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
> On 10 Oct 2003 02:05:54 -0700, (Carnivore269)
> wrote:
>
> >Frogleg > wrote

> >> I like venison, but best check regs for hunting in your area.

> >I'm in the city limits and it's illegal to fire a firearm in my yard.
> >
> >I do have a crossbow however. ;-)

> To combat the suburban "deer problem" here, licenses have been made
> available to shoot them on one's own property. Last I heard, none had
> been applied for or granted. There *have* been some permits granted
> to hunt with a bow, with considerable fuss about how careful the
> hunters will be in suburban/semi-rural, but quite populated areas.
> Another solution proposed a few years ago (by the State's wildlife
> agency, forsooth!) was importing wolves.

Yah. Sure. Wolves would be too damaging to local farmers with
livestock. :-(
Livestock is easier to kill than wild deer, so that is why that does
not really work. I've nothing against wolves, but they are not a good
urban or suburban animal.

One must be SO careful with firearms in a popluated area, it's
probably best for the state to hire professional hunters. Harvested
deer can be given to the food bank or local prisons. They sometimes do
that with fresh road killed deer.

> >> Send me a chicken. :-)

> >They make good garbage disposals and composters! :-)

> I saw plans a few years ago for a chicken-coop on wheels that could be
> moved around as an organic fertilizer dispenser. Made a lot of sense
> to me.

It's called a "chicken tractor". :-) If you want to play with poultry,
I'd be glad to refer you to a couple of REELY good e-mail poultry
lists! This e-mail tho' is a dead spam sink. I can give you the
references here if you want. One is called "Dom-bird" and is on Yahoo,
the other is "Bird-farm" and is on the Eskimo server. Home farming on
Yahoo is also excellent and does not generate a lot of posts. I have
digest format for all three. Really good people there! No trolls. <G>

C.