Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking
Umbrian[_1_] Umbrian[_1_] is offline

Default How do I cook a goose breast?

judith lea wrote:
> Duncan Booth wrote:
> > It is quite hard to get reliable facts about the safe temperatures for
> > cooking. For example, the USDA says that duck and goose must reach an
> > internal temperature of 165F (74C), and various UK websites I found said
> > that if not cooked to 70C there was a risk of salmonella.

> snip
>
> >> Whether that applied also to your French goose breast is of course another

> > question entirely.

> Goodness knows but I am still breathing and I can safely say that there
> were no explosions in my stomach - sometimes they have been so loud I
> am sure the neighbours can hear!

I think there is paranoia in those temperature figures. If you know
your meat you can easily have rare anything if you like it. The best
goose breast I ever had was made by a Belgian friend and was quickly
seared at atomic temperatures and rare as rare can be. Splendid. Pork
which is lean is commonly served pink here and is better for it.
There has not been a case of trichinosis in Italy since about the
Thirties. That said, I don't do it if I don't know the meat and its
provenance.