Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter A Peter A is offline

Default Need help on filet mignon on the grill

In article >,
says...
> I am wanting to make a steak dinner for my girl friend of 7yrs.Its a
> special meal with other pampering pleasures involved to break the stress
> of dealing with her mothers terminal illness.Im a sea food lover first
> but love the world of meats as well.I know my way around a grill but im
> no Bobby Fley(correct spelling?).It has seriously been a decade since i
> last made mignon and i have forgot what i think is the most important
> part...the searing!.I have a grill with duel burners and higher scale
> btu rating.Keep in mind i will have the fillets butterflyed and shall
> replace the bacon.Any ones suggestions on how long on each side to sear
> the juices in?.I remember following my local butchers directions to
> place the grill on high but have forgotten time allotment.I know after
> the searing part to cook on almost the lowest grill setting until
> desired out come.One last question..has any one used a what i think is
> the best steak sauce Parliament?.Do they still make it?....i hope so it
> was evidence of god! lol. Thanks in advance email
> welcomed.

I think that using a cast iron pan is better than a gas grill for this
kind of cooking. Gas adds no flavor and will not sear as well as a
really hot cast iron pan. It's impossible to give times because it
depends on how seared you like the meat and how hot your pan/grill is.

--
Peter Aitken