Posted to rec.food.restaurants
[email protected] loopygrl@yahoo.com is offline

Default Legal minimum wage for hospitality staff in ENGLAND, UK

Could anyone tell me what the legal minimum wage is for people in the
hospitality industry in England.. i.e, waitstaff, bus-boy, dishwasher,
etc. Is it legal for restaurants to pay you at only £5.00, which is
below the minimum wage bracket and claim to make the rest of your wage
up in tips? Even if this particular restaurant does not get many tips
received from customers to begin with? I could understand if the staff
were making £50.00 a shift extra in either cash or credit card tips
per person.. however, it is not even close to the case! Any shed of
light on this would be muchly appreciated. I personally believe
Caprice Holdings has the right idea when they pay their floor staff and
kitchen hands at a rate of £7.50-£8.00 an hour, making it more of an
insentive to go into work for the type of work you actually do. They
do keep a percentage of the credit card tips but all in all you make a
fairly decent wage from it regardless of the percentage they take. Why
can't it be that simple every where?!

Thanks in advance;

loopygrl