Vox Humana

Default Looking for an indoor grill recommendation

> wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> > "Jeff Bernstein" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Greetings:
> > >
> > > I can't have an outdoor grill at my new apartment (fire code and a
> > > wooden patio) so I'm looking for a good indoor grill. I've used (up) a
> > > Foreman Grill a few years ago. Has indoor grill technology gotten any
> > > better?
> > >
> > > What indoor grill would you recommend?
> > >

> > Cast iron grill pan pre-heated on the range + good ventilation.

> Interesting. Will this work with an electric range? Will it damage the
> surface of the range?

Some manufacturers of smooth top electric ranges (ceramic) caution against
the use of cast iron. It is my impression that they are worried about
scratches or the possibility that you might drop the pan on the range top.
I don't see why a cast iron grill pan would jeopardize or fail to perform on
an electric range any more than a cast iron skillet. While I like gas for
its instant on and instant response, some people will point out that
electric elements are more efficient at transferring heat to cookware. In
an application where you need to heat a large mass of material and maintain
the heat, I don't see why a electric with cast iron would be much different
than gas with cast iron. I'm sure that if I overlooked something that
someone will jump in. I think this would be much closer to outdoor grilling
than using a contact grill like the George Forman.