Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris[_13_] Chris[_13_] is offline

Default + Asian Food Experts: Source for "Silver Needle" or "Rat Tail" Noodles? +

I've enjoyed a delicious soup at an Asian restaurant called P.F.
Chang's here in Los Angeles, which they call Pin Rice Noodle Soup.
I've been able to replicate the recipe with the exception that I can't
find the type of noodles that give the soup it's name. In doing a bit
of research on them, I've found these clues.

Pin rice noodles are also known as "silver needle" noodles, "silver
pin" noodles, or "rat-tail" noodles. Asian names include "mee tye
bak", "nen dzem fen", and "loh shee fun". They are a round rice noodle
and are usually home made. Any rice noodle will do as a substitute,
although round is preferred; Laksa noodles can also be used.

Armed with this information I have checked every large market and
Asian specialty market I can find, but have still come up empty. An
Internet search of was also unsuccessful. Does anyone know where they
are available? The texture of this noodle is an important part of the
dish. Any help would be appreciated.

____

Anti-spam measure in return address
Private replies to: cxp36 (at) yahoo.com