Posted to rec.food.cooking
elaine elaine is offline

Default turkey temperature

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "elaine" > wrote:
>
>> I can't believe that I'm looking up how to cook a turkey, but this year
>> I'm
>> not going to brine it - just roast. The directions I found say to put
>> the
>> thermometer in the thigh. Silly question, but is it ok to leave the
>> thermometer there for 5 hours?
>>
>> elaine

> What temp are you cooking the turkey at?
>
> 5 hours?
>
> Must be a helluva big turkey, or you like dried out shoe leather. :-(
>
> We dropped the approximate timing to 10 minutes per lb. years ago as we
> got tired of dried out birds, or 160 degrees finished using a
> thermometer.
>
> We use 375 degrees as the oven temp.

Well the recipe said 325 degrees . Anf for a 20 lb turkey - which is what I
have - it should take 41/2 to 43/4 hours unstuffed and should be 165 degrees
on the thermometer. I've only been using a thermometer for a couple of
months. In fact the last time I used it (about a month ago) - it didn't
seem to be working. Found out the next morning when I went to wash it, that
the plastic thingy was still on it. Duh!!

I don't usually fret about my cooking but my sister in law suggested that I
leave lots of time to cook the turkey - which is why I looked it up. I told
her not to worry I had it under control. I nice way of telling her to shut
up! Last couple of years I've brined but decided not to do that this year.

Anyway, I want it to be perfect!

elaine