Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Sorta back

TheBubbo wrote:

> On Dec 21, 4:10 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> >

> > "TheBubbo" > wrote:
> > > Ahoy people
> > > My hard drive took the hard dive last week. Sometime next week, while
> > > I'm off work, I'm hoping to sit down and replace it. The only time I
> > > wish I had an actual desktop computer instead of a teeny tiny laptop is
> > > when I have to open the damned thing and play with the fiddly bits on
> > > the inside.

> > > So I'm trying out Google Groups for now and we'll see how this goes.

> > > obfood:
> > > I went to my mom's this last weekend and canned all manner of holiday
> > > treats to give away for Christmas this year. I left there with 120
> > > jars!
> > > I made:
> > > Corn relish
> > > Orange Cranberry sauce
> > > Lemon Ginger marmalade
> > > Strawberry Ginger syrup
> > > Maple pecan syrup
> > > Raspberry/Chipotle/Lime glaze
> > > Strawberry/Lemon jam

> > > I think I missed y'all!

> >We missed you too!
> >
> > <hugs>
> > --
> > Peace, Om
> >
> > Remove _ to validate e-mails.
> >
> > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

> thanks
> i'm still not sure I like the Google Groups but it will do for now. I
> have to use David's computer until I can get mine fixed. I need to
> order a hard drive tomorrow and then we'll see how that goes. Anyone
> ever replace a hard drive on a 12 inch power book?

I can't be sure what might be different on a scrapple, but on the IBM,
Dell, Compaq and HP laptops I've worked on replacing a HDD is about a 45
second procedure. The drive isn't really any different than a desktop
one, just smaller.

They usually plug directly into the drive bay as well, sometimes with an
adapter that you have to take off the old drive. The SCA80 connector
does both power and data so it's only one connection. The SCA80 is a pin
header type connector similar to the ATA ones, so if you see a different
connector style on the drive it is in all probability an adapter you
need to remove and place on the new drive.

A very handy accessory to have is an SCA80 - ATA adapter which allows
you to connect the laptop drive to a desktop machine for backups /
recovery. I recently had the drive in my Dell laptop go south with a
thermal problem where it would die after about 15 min of operation. I
pulled the drive, connected it to a desktop machine with the adapter and
pointed a fan at it. I was able to keep the drive functioning long
enough to take a full backup image of it. When I got the replacement
drive I just connected it the same way and restored the image to it
before installing it in the laptop. Very painless recovery.

Pete C.