Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Mashed potatoes ahead of time?

cybercat wrote:
> "Sheldon"
> >
> > cybercat wrote:
> >> This year, I really want to avoid the last minute flusters.
> >>
> >> However, I want everything to be really good.
> >>
> >> On the good side, I am only cooking for 4--but of course we have to have
> >> enough leftovers for everyone to take home.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to make homemade mashed potatoes ahead of time and have
> >> them
> >> be just as good? Or is that the one thing, along with the bread, that I
> >> need
> >> to do just before serving? I'm using russets if that matters.

> > Gently blend your mashed potatoes with well caramelized onions. With
> > wet hands form into patties (about 3" diam x 3/4" thk), coat with egg
> > wash and fine cracker crumbs or matzo meal. Gently fry potato patties
> > in vegetable oil until golden brown on both sides. Place patties in
> > fridge until time to reheat... reheat on a sheet pan in med oven.
> > Caramelized onions may be omited, but why...
> >

> This sounds awesome, Sheldon! Thanks.

You can even make a bunch extra and freeze them. Just don't whip the
potatoes, mash them, minimally... real mashed potatoes still have a few
lumps... if it's prfectly smooth you're after than may as well use
dehys, and even dehys when prepared correctly are better than
whipped... whipped is like eating library paste.

Those potato cakes are great as is, or blend with half flaked cod fish
to make wonderful fish cakes... or fold mashed potatoes with flaked
canned salmon and make fried patties or bake in a greased loaf pan.

If you feel artistic:

timbale [TIHM-buhl, tihm-BAHL]
1. A mold, generally high-sided, drum-shaped and slightly tapered at
the bottom and closed end, used to bake various dishes. 2. A dish -
usually based on custard, FORCEMEAT or RISOTTO combined with meat,
fish, vegetables, cheese, etc. - baked in such a mold. The dish is
unmolded and often served as an entrée (and sometimes as a first
course) with a sauce such as BÉCHAMEL. 3. A pastry shell made by
dipping a timbale iron first into a batter, then into deep, hot fat.
When the crisp pastry is pushed off the iron and cooled, it can be
filled with a sweet or savory mixture. Timbale irons come in various
sizes and shapes such as hearts, stars and butterflies. They're
available in specialty cookware stores.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Sw...&s=home-garden

http://www.jbprince.com/index.asp?Pa...ory=286&Page=2

Sheldon