Posted to rec.food.cooking
pfoley pfoley is offline

Default Mashed potatoes ahead of time?

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> This year, I really want to avoid the last minute flusters.
>
> However, I want everything to be really good.
>
> On the good side, I am only cooking for 4--but of course we have to have
> enough leftovers for everyone to take home.
>
> Is there a way to make homemade mashed potatoes ahead of time and have

them
> be just as good? Or is that the one thing, along with the bread, that I

need
> to do just before serving? I'm using russets if that matters. Thanks!

I have made them a little ahead of time before large dinners a few times
now, and put them in a crock pot on warm. I spray the crock pot with Pam
and then pile the mashed potatoes high in the center, so they don't touch
the sides and burn. Sometimes I put a little milk in first, so they don't
dry out. They have been fine. Just make sure your crock pot is on warm;
not low or high or they will burn.