Posted to alt.politics.nationalism.white,uk.politics.misc,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

Default Ethical shopping

Mel Rowing wrote:

> > > Buy the whole bunch.
> > > Not just the couple of bananas you want.

> > Have you any idea how many bananas there are in a bunch?
> > The shippers and the stores have already broken them up into
> > smaller bunches. Since we pay by the pound regardless of the
> > quality of the individual fruits in those bunches, we are
> > entitled to the best quality for the same price. If I want 4
> > bananas and the smallest bunch is 8, of which 4 are substandard,
> > I am going to take the four good ones.

> You aren't even *entitled* to buy the bananas in the first place. If
> you don't care for the terms under which the bananas are *offered* for
> sale, your entitlement is limited to your right to decline to purchase
> them.

The stores where I shop sell them by the pound, not by the
bunch. Banana grow in "hands", not bunches, and a hand of
bananas may be 100-200 bananas. Shippers and vendors break them
up into smaller bunches. If they cared about them being sold in
bunches they would package them in bunches.

> You certainly are not entitled to break up bunches into smaller ones.
> They are not yours until after you've paid for them.

Why not? They have. I buy bananas 4-5 at a time because they get
over ripe if not used within a that many days. I can usually
find a suitable bunch, but if the smallest bunch is 25, I will
break some off.

> Loose bananas if you want them are generally sold at a lower price.

Yes, generally they are, but that is because most of them have
been culled because of defects, like being too ripe.