Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking
PeterL PeterL is offline

Default OT: Tombs in Stronsay My first no knead bread attempt

Bruce > wrote in news:5NqdnZ9V4p_-
:

> PeterL wrote:
>> So, not much information is about to find out *why* it was built, but
>> having the sun strike the back wall........... during the

solstice....
>> where's the alter?

> No altar as such. There are many theories as to why it was built. You
> may find Sigurd Towrie's website <www.orkneyjar.com> of some interest,
> especially page <www.orkneyjar.com/history/maeshowe/acoustics.htm>

Thanks, will check it out when I have a couple of spare hours!!!

> And Golgotha monastery on Papa Stronsay is not the first, see my

website
> for links.

Yep, been looking at the photos of the digs, especially where they
unearthed the 'alter'.

Oh, and the 'graves'.

I find it *intensely* interesting that there is a pub in Reykjavik,
Iceland, named after a guy (Gaukur) who was killed by the ancestor of a
dude who carved some graffiti in Maeshowes' walls 200 years after his
ancestors death!! *And* with the axe that belonged to the defeated
Gaukur!!

BTW, where abouts in the tomb is the rune graffiti??

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml