Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Sallustio Joe Sallustio is offline

Default Grape crusher

If she doesn't have a floor corker yet that might be a good place to
start. The Portuguese corker has a lot going for it; you may want to
look at that. If someone tells you it has plastic jaws and brass is
better, that isn't necessarily correct. These jaws compress the cork
and that is all they do. I use both natural corks and have used all of
the synthetics and all work well in this corker.

The only drawback it has is it doesn't handle normal 375 ml bottles
without placing a shim on top of the bottle holder. I just use an old
carboy cap as a shim, others use hockey pucks or a hunk of wood. You
should be able to find a brand new one for around $50 US. If she is
using a hand corker now this would get you an attaboy, maybe two...

Joe