Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected] purduephotog@gmail.com is offline

Default Grape crusher

Definately a worthwhile investment that will hold- but only if you buy
it on the secondary market.

I picked up my crusher/press for 200$ (250?) just prior to this season.
A coworker welded the broken cast iron part back together for me. I
figure I can resell it when / if I ever have enough time to build my
own again for about the same price- it's a HUGE press.

The Crusher is something I could definately build myself. There's a
few articles out there- I won't be able to get them to you for a few
weeks or so, the easiest is a couple of cherry 'crusher' spindles
(looks like a star) and a bin. Add a crank and they work just fine.

The press a number of people have been kind enough to contribute ideas
for me to look at- and there's MANY great designs I've seen- but unless
you have a good shop and easy access to SS 316 (or 304 if you want to
save a few bucks) you're talking a minimum of 80$ in hardware and 150$
in wood to do it.

If she's started growing grapes you'll have a few years before you need
to get all this together- a small cheese press might be able to handle
the load you've got. You didn't mention quantity of grapes to press-
12 lbs to gallon. My 18" diamater basket press can handle about 3 lugs
of grapes (fermented red skins) or 2'ish crushed whites.

Good luck... let me know about your woodworking skills!

(ps- craigslist.org is the best place to watch).

Jason