Posted to rec.food.cooking
pfoley pfoley is offline

Default milk in meatloaf?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Wed 13 Dec 2006 05:59:35p, kuvasz guy meant to say...
>

> > -L. wrote:

> >> I use those. Or saltine crackers. My meatloaf is ground turkey, bread
> >> crumbs, milk, seasonings, and a little A1 sauce. It's awesome.
> >>
> >> -L.

> > It probably is, but I can't see the point of using something like milk
> > which doesn't add any flavor to the end result...

> I can't see the point in using milk, either. I have tried it and didn't
> like it, though I'd be hard put to explain exactly why. Just something
> about it.
>
> My current favorite meatloaf is this one...
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> 13 Crackers Meat Loaf
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 1 Egg
> 1/3 Cup Chili Sauce
> 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
> 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
> 1/2 Teaspon Salt
> 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
> 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
> 1 Pound Ground Beef
> 1/3 Cup Chopped Onion (I use more)
> 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Pepper (I use more)
> 13 Saltine Crackers -- finely crushed
> 1 Tablespoon Chili Sauce
>
> Preheat oven to 350° F.
>
> Whisk together the egg, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard,
> salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.
>
> Crumble ground beef into large mixing bowl.
>
> Add chopped onion, chopped green pepper, and crushed crackers.
>
> Toss meat mixture together with two forks until all ingredients are well
> distributed.
>
> Add reserved egg mixture and mix thoroughly with hands.
>
> Shape into an oval loaf and place in baking dish.
>
> Smooth top and spread 1 tablespoon chili sauce evenly over surface.
>
> Bake in lower third of oven for 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until nicely brown
> and juices run clear.
>
> Remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil. Allow to stand 15 minutes
> before slicing.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> One thing about pain: It proves you're alive.

===============
I like that chili sauce idea; I will try that the next time. I usually
use ketchup to moisten the meat loaf, no eggs, mustard powder, poultry
seasoning, lots of salt and pepper, bread crumbs, onion, dash of
worcestershire and all beef. During the final five minutes of cooking,
I top the loaf off with a barbecue sauce that I toss together, and
serve extra sauce on the side. Maybe the chili sauce would be good for
that also instead of making a barbecue sauce.
I notice that you also pat your meat loaf into an oval and put in a
baking dish. I have been doing that for a few years now, and I find it
is so much better than using a loaf pan. The meat loaf does not sit in
the fat while it is cooking and also it cooks more evenly in a larger
pan. The cracker crumb idea never appeals to me; I have heard of using
oatmeal also, and wonder how that would work.