Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default What to serve with Prime Rib?

Sarah wrote:

> > About the tented with foil thing:
> >
> > I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and he
> > describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use foil on
> > cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be bad? Just
> > curious.
> >

> Apparently, roast beef should be 'dry' cooked, by tenting in foil it steams,
> and so the crusty outside goes soggy.

Nothing steams and nothing goes soggy (roast meat is not a loaf of
bread). The tent slows the rate of cooling so juices can more readily
be reabsorbed rather than they drip into the pan, and the tent
increases humidity so the meat surface does not become tough...
humidity ain't steam, were it we'd all be dead... no steam is produced,
not inside the oven, not outside the oven, no steam is created from
tenting. I've watched Mario Bertali's shows enough to learn he's about
the dumbest embarrassment to humanity of all foodtv personalities, he's
your typical ignorant dago pasta bender, can barely speak without
constantly stumbling over his own greasy WOP tongue... Mario Buffooni
has a serious speech impediment or he's sucking some thing.

Sheldon