Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sarah[_1_] Sarah[_1_] is offline

Default What to serve with Prime Rib?

> About the tented with foil thing:
>
> I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and he
> describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use foil on
> cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be bad? Just
> curious.

Apparently, roast beef should be 'dry' cooked, by tenting in foil it steams,
and so the crusty outside goes soggy. this was discussed on UKTV Food, they
said you should leave the meat to rest for a LOT LONGER than most people do,
(for as long as it cooks in most cases), the ambient temperature of the
kitchen will keep the meat watm for at least 1/2 an hour. If it's colder,
use the oven door as a shelf (How do you cook the yorkshire puds and the
roast potatoes!) or the top oven (I don't have one!) Anyway in an ideal
world with a hot kitchen, the meat should be untented, and sit for at least
an hour!!!!

Sarah