Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester Puester is offline

Default REC and advice (Was What to serve with Prime Rib?)

laurie wrote:
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
> about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible.

> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
> overwhelming, please!
>
> laurie

There are a number of vegetable casseroles you can make ahead.

My family would like the broccoli-cheese thing or asparagus. Some
winter squash (savory, not sweet) would be popular. They also would
expect Yorkshire pudding with roast beef.

Lots of little side dishes of things like olives, pickles, chutney,
horseradish sauce, spiced apple rings (bottled), spiced applesauce, etc.
would disguise the lack of more vegetables, and all of those can be
bought ready to serve.

This is delicious and can be made ahead. It's something I have made for
years, but it's also in the RFC Cookbook:

8 large carrots cut into strips or 1 lb. mini carrots
2 Tbsp horseradish
2 Tbsp. grated onion
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 tsp, salt
1/4 tsp blackpepper
buttered cracker crumbs or bread crumbs

Cook the carrots in salted water until just tender. Drain and place in
an 8 inch square baking dish. Mix onion, horseradish, mayonnaise, salt
and pepper and pour over carots. Sprinkle the top with crumbs. Bake 20
minutes at 350deg. Serves 6-8. Can be doubled easily.

gloria p