Boron Elgar

Default Ice Cream Question???

On 16 Jun 2004 11:45:05 -0700, (Greg Zywicki)
wrote:

>I've honestly been dissapointed with the few custard based ice creams
>I've made.

May I ask what you didn't care for? Was it texture, mouth feel,
intensity of flavor, etc?

I have found that many custard base recipes need a bit of tweaking for
flavorings. I have a tendency to increase the flavorings quite a bit
to get serious taste bud action going on. This goes not just for such
things as vanilla, but also for the amount of chocolate or coffee or
other ingredients that add to the flavor enhancement.

What you use to freeze the ice cream can also affect the final
outcome. I tend to prefer "real" ice cream churns (either ice & salt
bucket or of the Il Gelato, refrigerated sort) to get good and
consistent creamy texture.

Boron