Posted to rec.food.baking
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Icing query / choc icing

Update : my wife decided that it would be less hassle to buy a shopmade
marzipan. The cake is covered with both m/pan and royal icing. Half tsp of
glycerine to 1lb of icing sug and 3 egg whites, have given a nice softish
finish. Although it will harden a bit over the next month. I know you are
supposed to wait a week between the two layers, to stop the yellow leetching
thru' - bur can't wait.
Taste changes over time and possibly, my wife's childhood dislike for
marzipan may have altered. If she now likes the taste, I will use homemade
m/pan on the next project:-
Batenburg cake, but with the m/pan outer layer, covered in quarter inch of
choc frosting.
Question is : what proportion of chocolate to icing sugar, will give a
texture that's not too hard or brittle and will I need to add half tsp
glycerine, as per yesterday's royal icing? TIA
Bertie