Posted to rec.food.baking
Chari Chari is offline

Default Icing query

In article 9>, Wayne
Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 30 Nov 2006 05:32:55a, Bertie Doe meant to say...
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > 28.19...
> >>
> >> Fruitcakes or Chrimas cakes in the UK are often wrapped in marzipan and
> >> then frosted. It's rarely done in the US.
> >>
> >> Oh pshaw, on Wed 29 Nov 2006 04:06:17p, Mary meant to say...

> > Thanks Wayne, I didn't realise it was a uk thing. Can I assume that
> > wedding cakes in the US are sponge with frosting? I guess this rules out
> > 3 tier w/cakes? as I assume sponge wouldn't take the weight.
> > Newsgroup Uk.food+drink seems to be pitched more toward restaurant food,
> > but I think I'll repost it there. Thanks anyway.

> You're welcome... Most US wedding cakes I've seen are some form of butter
> cake, and it seems that people are ordering many variations in
> flavors/types. Most are tiered cakes.

Could you try a fondant instead of marzipan? I've never made one, so I
can't offer a recipe, but the textures seem similar and I believe
fondant keeps well (although perhaps not three weeks).

Just a thought--perhaps a more experienced baker could offer an opinion
on whether this would work. Good luck!