Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Matthew Suffidy Matthew Suffidy is offline

Default Champagne

Frank Mancuso wrote:
> I have never made wine(but made lots of beer), and I was thinking of
> making a sparkling wine/champagne. Has anyone ever tried this?

so like I use lalvin-1118 and basically go high alcohol and try to kill
yeast by leaving the wine in my cold fridge hoping it will erode the
organism while not allowing for self-repair. I leave it there till I
drink it. What I notice is something odd that sealed the active
(champagne yeast) seems to try to consume the co2 for some reason and
definately notice -negative- pressure after a few days. So I am thinking
that real champange may be like ah moderately powerful yeast some sugar
and then hitting with something like campden and bottling de-gassed
would produce the champagne effect, but it needs a chemical fix?

Matthew Suffidy - Ottawa, Canada

(use as printed)
http://matthew.chungus.com