Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

Default How do I make a really good red wine ? (Blueberries ?)

On Nov 27, 10:45 am, me2 > wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:12:29 -0800, guy wrote:
> >>" Is there any way to improve the quality of the wine this kit will make
> >> without crushing grapes ? How about adding some raisins to the fermenter ?"

> > See the following thread about adding raisins to kit wine,
> >http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...g+raisin+kits&

> rnum=1&hl=en#a00c73a08c6d1399
>

> > GuyThanks.

> The reason I thought I'd add raisins was to increase the body of the
> wine. Raisins are, after all, grapes. I read about doing this somewhere,
> but I can't remember where. I think it was in Winemaking by Andersen and
> Andersen, but I haven't had time to find the quote.
>
> I guess I will stick to the stock process this time.

Some of the Amarone kits on the market contain a pack of commercial
(Sun-Maid?) raisins, so it's not always a bad thing to add raisins to a
kit. However, those kits were designed to work that way, and what works
for 1 kit doesn't necessarily give a good result for another, so
proceed with caution. If you haven't made this kit before, why not just
try it first following the instructions to see what the body comes out
like.

Other than raisins, lots of people add some dried elderberries to their
kits, that might be a better option.

Pp