Posted to alt.food.wine

Default ideal restaurant wine list

DaleW wrote:

<SNIP>

In additions to Dale's excellent suggestions, I'll some comments of my own:

1. The markups should be a set amount and not a percentage, to encourage
the purchase of more expensive bottles.

2. The list should include a good selection of half bottles and wines by
the glass to accomodate parties that need different wines for different
dishes. When my wife and I dine out, we often want to get a white wine
for the appetizers and a red wine for the main course, but don't want to
drink more than 750 ml of wine.

3. The list should include some aged wines, which can be obtained via
wine auctions such as those put on by Christie's or Hart Davis Hart.

4. The bulk of the wines should be good values rather than the
prestigious names.

5. The wines should be chosen to complement the type of food served at
the restaurant. I am so tired of seeing 5 pages of young Cabernet
Sauvignons on the wine lists of sushi bars. For a good example of a
carefully chosen wine list, see Mark Ellenbogen's list at the Slanted
Door in San Francisco:

http://slanteddoor.com/wine_list.html

Mark Lipton