Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38 Goomba38 is offline

Default Looking for an old Italian cookie recipe

Steve in Virginia wrote:

> Does anyone know what I'm referring to? I'd love to get the recipe,
> but all the old Italians are gone, and I don't recall if anyone ever
> wrote the recipe down. I just remember that you had to beat the
> daylight out of the batter in a stand mixer for something like an
> hour!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated...and would probably get
> you a batch of these delicious cookies to boot.

In my family they were called "cha-melles" or something sounding like
that but spelled who knows how? You know how dialect varies. I never got
a recipe either
Much like a harder Stella D'Oro brand Regina or biscotti but with a hard
shiny glaze on the top. My father loved to dunk 'em in coffee or wine.

I can make strufoli easily.. but I'd love to find the recipe for those
"chamelles".