Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Puistonen Janet Puistonen is offline

Default that gacky sweet potato thing

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 08:48:13a, Janet Puistonen meant to
> say...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> I think kids generally prefer sweet potatoes in some
>>> mashed/casserole form, with or without marshmallows. I know I did
>>> as a kid, but I don't care for them in any mashed form now, except
>>> in sweet potato pie.

>> Try them this way: Bake 4 or five large sweet potatoes in their skins
>> until soft. Let cool, and peel. Mash. Stir in 1 stick melted butter,
>> about 1/2 tsp cinnamon; grated fresh numeg, ground fresh pepper, and
>> salt to taste; and about 1/3 cup bourbon. Transfer to baking dish.
>> All may be done ahead. Bake in oven until hot. (Sprinkle with a
>> little brown sugar if you wish.) Marshmallows on sweet potatoes?
>> YUCK!!

> I might like that. WHen I make caidied sweet potatoes, I usually put
> in a splash of bourbon or dark rum. Great addition.

I normally do not add the brown sugar on top, and it is plenty sweet but in
an adult way.

(I also do not understand why anyone would BOIL sweet potatoes in order to
mash them.....they turn out perfectly when baked, and don't lose any
flavor.)