Posted to alt.food.wine
Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg is offline

Default Chinese food vs Japanese food

America is the land of reinvention.
Pizza, Lasagna, Parmesan served here have tenuous ties to Italy & only
really originate from a few areas south of Rome.

So called Jewish delicatessen including bagels & smoked meats find their
origin in Poland & Russia and Latvia, Lithuania, Romania. The first time a
relocated German or Austrian Jew has pastrami is in the US and Canada. And
until people visited Israel, who knew from Falafel?

The same holds true for Mexican, Indian, Pakistani and SE Asian cuisine.

From the time Chinese arrived in the US, restaurants catering to
non-Chinese. created easy to understand dishes. Most Chinese dishes favored
were from the Pekinese or Mandarin side of the menu. After travel to the
Orient became popular Mongolian, Szechwan & Hunan dishes were added to the
bill of fare. When I went to Singapore for a week, I worked my way through
China's provinces and Malaysia.

The Japanese experience was typical; sukiyaki, teriyaki, hibachi presaged
sushi, sashimi and bento boxes.

The only cuisines that crossed the two big oceans intact, more or less, were
Great Britain(includes Scotland & Ireland) and Western Europe but even those
cuisines were adapted for local palates. (Name me a pre 1980 French
Restaurant that didn't serve Coq au Vin or a German place without Schnitzel
& Bratwurst