Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,rec.food.sourdough
Cindy Fuller Cindy Fuller is offline

Default Peter Reinhart On No-Knead Bread

In article .com>,
"Leila" > wrote:

> As soon as I read about that NY Times/Jim Lahey no-knead bread, I
> thought - what would Brother Juniper say? Peter Reinhart, also known as
> Brother Juniper, is a bread baking maven, teacher and prolific author.
> I worked with him when he was at the California Culinary Academy, (I
> was a lowly staff person, not a chef mind you!) and I took a
> demonstration class he gave on poolish, biga and other slow-rise
> breads.
>
> When I only had one child, I had time to mess around with Reinhart's
> recipes, which were tasty and wonderful but took plenty of planning and
> attention. Now I have two kids and they keep me busy -too busy to
> bother with a two- or three-day bread process. (okay, there's grad
> school too, my other excuse)
>
> Well, out of curiousity I googled Brother Juniper and found his weblog:
>
> http://peterreinhart.typepad.com/
>
> He has put up the nicest comment about the new bread phenomenon. He is
> a generous man and looks at bread-baking the way a great research
> scientist would - it's all grist for the mill, (so to speak) - he loves
> the new technique, he's delighted about the buzz, and he's going to
> test some variations to see if it's worth adding a chapter to his
> latest book in progress.
>
> When my semester ends in ten days, I'm going to try the no-knead bread
> with the kids. And I may bake a Brother Juniper slow-rise bread too,
> for good measure.

Iteration 2.0 is currently in its final rise, and the Le Creuset pot is
heating in the oven. Even though I used the same amount of water this
go-round, the dough was less slack. (Surprising, given the humidity
hereabouts.) It was much easier to shape today. My next-door-neighbor
is intrigued by the method and requested a loaf for today's cooperative
feast, along with some dinner rolls. Said rolls came out of the oven an
hour ago.

So what are you pursuing in grad school???

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me