Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default And another ... and help needed please

"Steve Bonine" > wrote in message
> Mary Fisher wrote:
>
>> Thanks. We don't have that. I suppose I could mix my own but I think I'll
>> try using bread flour.

> I expect that will work fine. The procedure does not seem to be at all
> picky about type of flour.
>
>> Not that the NYT recipe is any easier than my usual method if I think
>> about it!

> Different, not necessarily easier.

Yes, but I thought that it was being promoted as easy, perhaps I
misunderstood.

> To me, the advantages are less time actually working with the dough, and
> an excellent result with better crust than I've been able to achieve using
> other methods.

I think that's because it's baked in an enclosed and steamy environment.
I've had the same beautiful thin crisp crust by inverting a soaked unglazed
clay pot over a free form loaf. Every time I'm going to see my potter I
intend asking him to make me some and every time I see him I forget :-)

> The disadvantage is the need to plan ahead and to be available at specific
> times that are many hours in the future.

Yes, and organising myself is something I'm not good at.

I shall try again but I think I'll go back to my very forgiving sourdough
bread - especially in the warmer months when I'll be using my bread oven.
Timing IS important with that. another problem with the NYT recipe, for me,
is that it makes a very big loaf. We eat a lot of bread but there's still a
third left after two meals. It would be good for when the family comes
though. Hmm - perhaps I'll make one and freeze it ...

Mary