Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default And another ... and help needed please

I didn't follow the recipe exactly because I didn't notice the part about
putting the dough on a cloth and heating the pan first :-(

Also, I don't know what 'all purpose' flour is - I'm in Britain. We have
plain flour which is low gluten and used for cakes, biscuits (cookies),
sauces and the like and we have bread flour which is strong and high gluten
and used for bread, pasta etc. We also have self raising flour which is
plain flour with a chemical raising agent incorporated.

I used plain flour and instant yeast.

It looked really good with a nice thin crispy crust but didn't have the same
open crumbs as those described by others. The flavour was OK but not as good
as my usual bread. It reminded both of us of the commercial bread we used to
have when we were children (in the 1940s). It was far better than modern
commercial mass produced bread.

I'll try it once more, using my starter but I'd like to be put right on what
all purpose flour is first.

Here's the crumb - sorry for the poor picture.

http://i9.tinypic.com/3z6exza.jpg

TIA

Mary