A.T. Hagan

Default Is this generally true about baking yeast?

Is the following generally true about interchanging yeast types in
bread making?

"To substitute Rapid Acting yeasts for Active Dry yeasts reduce the
amount of Rapid Acting used by 25% from the amount of Active Dry the
recipe calls for then add the dry yeast to the dry ingredients before
mixing.

To substitute Active Dry for Rapid Acting increase the amount of
Active Dry by 25% over what the recipe calls for of Rapid Acting yeast
and dissolve in warm water (100° to 110°F) with a small amount of
sugar before mixing in with the dry ingredients.

Once 0.6 ounce cake of fresh, compressed yeast is roughly equivalent
to one pack of active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons) or to about 1 3/4
teaspoons of Rapid Acting yeast."

I know this won't work perfectly, but I'm trying to get it in the
ballpark for folks who may find themselves with one sort of yeast and
a recipe that calls for another sort. I've never seen fresh cake
yeast for sale here and have used the Rapid Acting (Rapid Rise, Bread
Machine yeasts) only a little since standard active dry yeast gets the
job done for me.

Help me tweak this, if you would, please.

......Alan

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.