Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Douglas W Hoyt Douglas W Hoyt is offline

Default Celebration & Refrigeration

Broadened probably. But I've got a 2005 (kept in the fridge all year) open
next to a 2006 and the difference is pretty substantial. I loved the 2005,
and it is still beautiful. It starts out clean and bright with a silky
mouthfeel and then comes a wave of light sweetness & autumn leafy hop
complexity, and then comes the hard concentrated hop finish that lasts and
lasts. The 2006 has a burst of pleasant hops at the start leading into a
long lingering hop finish, but it is far thinner on the palate--there is a
whole mid-range fullness/richness missing, and the overall hop impact,
despite the nice long finish, doesn't seem as big.

I thought the 2005 was a real winner--from day one--but with so many
incredible pale ales and IPA's on the market, I wouldn't buy another
2006--it just dies too much after the first burst of flavor--it's too much
like the typical yawnworthy IPA's you tend to find if you travel and buy
some random local product.