Margaret Suran

Default Using Porcini Mushrooms

Victor Sack wrote:

> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>
> > Victor Sack wrote:
> > >
> > > .25 oz is 7 g. That's a crazy price, in any case. In Germany,
> > > Suppengewürz costs something like 1 EUR (about $1.13) for 100 g (3.5
> > > oz).

> > In New York City it costs about $1.99 to $2.49 for a package of Soup
> > Greens that contains two large carrots, one parsnip, one turnip, one
> > small onion, as piece of leek, parsley and dill.
> >
> > I never checked, but I imagine there are about 8 oz. or more of
> > vegetables in the package.

> Fresh or dried vegetables? Are they whole? Suppengewürz here consists
> of finely chopped dried roots which disintegrate during cooking,
> contributing to the taste of the dish but otherwise leaving barely a
> trace.
>
> Victor

They are fresh vegetables, or were meant to be when they were packaged.
That's why there is such a discrepancy between the weights of the ones
you talk about and the ones I mean.

I looked at the packages today. They contain as little as eight ounces
and as much as twelve. Some stores package their own. None of them
include leeks any more and few put in dill, because that is the first
item to spoil.

If I had known that we are talking about two completely different
things, I would not have gone and researched this. (