Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Can you WOK on an electric coil stovetop?

Andy wrote:
> Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to do
> stir-frying?

In "The Breath of A Wok" Grace Young recommends a flat bottomed wok
placed directly on the coil, without a ring. Having more surface in
contact with the burner, the wok will get hotter than a round bottomed
one, and high heat is essential for the typical stirfry recipe.

When I cooked on an electric stove, I placed the wok on the largest
coil and turned it to High. Then I waited until the burner was red
hot. Then I tested by placing the palm of my hand two or three inches
from the bottom of the wok, wanting it to feel hot. Then as wisps of
smoke began to appear from the wok I swirled in a little oil. Brief
pause of a few seconds, then the food. Or part of the food, if the
full amount would drop the temperature of the wok too much.

You have to keep the heat up throughout the stirfrying (for most
recipes). A good rule of thumb is, if you can't hear it sizzling and
popping it's not hot enough.

Final tip for now -- books have been written about stirfrying -- when
you put meat in, place it all around the surface of the wok in a single
layer and let it alone for 30 to 60 seconds before you begin stirring
or tossing. This helps it get the first layer of searing and avoids
overcrowding the wok. -aem