Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Chowder Schmowder!

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:12:57 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>probably a half hour. Ok, I'm getting hungry now, so I add the clams into
>the simmering pot. 5 minutes later I pull the pot off the stove and serve
>( we don't want rubber clams, right?). Oh yeah, I diced a few scallions for
>'garni'.

Well, you have the most crucial point. Most of the chowders I have had
in restaurants neglect this and let the clams go to rubber, probably
in a misguided attempt to extract the most flavor from them.

If you want a strong clam flavor in the broth, use one wave of clams
for the broth, and take them out near the end, adding new clams that
won't overcook.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again