Dan Abel

Default Using Porcini Mushrooms

In article >, Margaret Suran > wrote:

> alzelt wrote:

> > That's scary, Margaret. You mean that practice of pre-packaging multiple
> > veggies is common? Sad thing.
> > --
> > Alan

> Yes, for soup greens it has been done for a long time. Almost always,
> the dill and the parsley are half (or completely) spoiled when I open
> the plastic bag. They are pre-packaged days in advance. MS

I think that this is a good concept, both for the consumer and the store.
As Margaret notes, it doesn't always work out well in practice. Sometimes
these packages look pretty bad. I don't think we can reasonably expect
stores to sell parsley by the sprig, or parts of a leek. The handling
costs are too high. Around here, even if the produce is priced by the
pound, it is often packaged in units too large for my use. A bunch of
parsley usually goes bad before I use half of it. If a recipe called for
1/3 of a leek, I would leave it out. If I needed one teaspoon of fresh
chopped dill, I would substitute dried. If a recipe called for fresh,
uncooked parsely, I might buy a bunch. If it was going to be cooked, or
mixed with a lot of liquid, I would use dried.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University