Posted to alt.food.wine
Timothy Hartley[_2_] Timothy Hartley[_2_] is offline

Default 89 Font de Michelle, 00 St Bris

In message . com>
"DaleW" > wrote:

> Thanks for note. Do you not think the Sauvignon de St. Bris was just
> tired? I don't know Pichon, but with the exception of a few Bordeaux
> Blancs (that also include at least some Semillon ) I seldom find that
> SB improves from cellaring. A lot of people I respect cellar some top
> Sancerres and maybe NZ wines like Cloudy Bay, but I'm generally
> happiest with latest vintage. I've never had a SdSB more than 3 years
> from vintage date.
>
> Chateauneuf sounds great!
>

> Emery Davis wrote:
>> First the Sauvignon St Bris, from Marcel Pichon. A bizarre wine with
>> a transition-of-seasons meal: grilled fresh sardines, cepes,
>> broccoli. (Nearly
>> the last of the year's cepes, but with the cold weather the winter
>> grilling season starts in earnest. Since there's a fire most
>> every day, we grill 4 or 5 times per week.) What a strange bottle,
>> a very yeasty champagne-like nose, and almost like a still
>> champagne in the mouth also: medium acid, yeast, creamy
>> but muted fruit. No sauvignon typicity. Adele liked but I
>> didn't much. The bottle was a gift and normally had been
>> properly stored, the giver a Burgundian with a very fine cellar.
>> Damaged?
>>
>> '89 Font de Michelle (regular cuvee) with rotisseried duck,
>> saute of sprouts and chestnuts. (A very fine duck from
>> a different duck guy than we usually use). A very elegant
>> CdP, fully mature from IMHO the best year of the extraordinary
>> trio of 88-89-90. Clear color going a bit brick, rich
>> spicy kirsch nose, very long and with terrific balance,
>> layer after layer of fruit confit with overtones of white pepper
>> and spice. A true pleasure, this is why we have a cellar!
>>
>> -E
>>
>> --
>> Emery Davis
>> You can reply to ecom
>> by removing the well known companies

Does it not depend how they are made? I have found, for isntance,
that the Goisot Sauvignons de Saint-Bris are much greener, more
obviously cassis and Sauvignon Blanc and more New World in style and
do not keep as well as, for example, the Defrance ones which are cold
fermented over a longer period of time and do keep their structure and
and some SAuvognon Blanc cripsness as they age. I remember discussing
this with Madame DEfrance who said that they also liked theirs with
bottle age and had actually found a bottle which must have been at
least 25 years old, made by the previous generation and lost in a
corner, which had tasted more like a Chardonnay than SB but was good
in fruit and balance. The oldest I have drunk has been some 1990
about three or four years ago - again an accident -and found that what
she had said was beginning to be true at that age.

Tim