Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default 89 Font de Michelle, 00 St Bris

On 6 Nov 2006 04:58:56 -0800
"DaleW" > wrote:

> Thanks for note. Do you not think the Sauvignon de St. Bris was just
> tired? I don't know Pichon, but with the exception of a few Bordeaux
> Blancs (that also include at least some Semillon ) I seldom find that
> SB improves from cellaring. A lot of people I respect cellar some top
> Sancerres and maybe NZ wines like Cloudy Bay, but I'm generally
> happiest with latest vintage. I've never had a SdSB more than 3 years
> from vintage date.

Hi Dale,

I do think the SSB was tired tasting, but there were other strange
components as well. Personally I don't think 6 years is too far over
the hill, but then I am a well known oenonecrophilliac.

This said I don't usually age much Sauvignon, but that's probably
largely because I don't have a lot of it. I do have some 89 La Louviere
kicking around, that's Sauv-Semillon, right? Probably ready even by
my standards! I think I've also got a couple of bottles of Isabel
01, might be interesting to try one soon as a comparison.

This said, St Bris certainly has no reputation as a vin de garde.
A couple of years ago I dug up some forgotten St Bris from Sorin
de France, around 10 years old it was actually (surprisingly) very good.

> Chateauneuf sounds great!

The real deal!

[]
--