Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Phyll Phyll is offline
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles
Default Tasting techniques.

When I'm tasting seriously (yeah..haha), I adopt the wine tasting
technique of gurgling the tea while inhaling through my mouth and make
this rude noise. I swirl the liquid around for 10 seconds or more to
evaluate the texture. During swallowing, I concentrate on its texture
going down the throat. After swallowing, my lips are closed, I breathe
through my nose and count the seconds it takes for the residual taste
to dissipate.

If you have attained the level that I have, you will occasionally choke
while gurgling the tea and it comes out the nose. Now, that's really
fun! Your guests/spouse/children will usually be entertained when that
happens.

Phyll