Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann[_1_] Paul E. Lehmann[_1_] is offline

Default Grape vines and the Birds from Hell

"Andrew" > wrote in message
> Joel R Anderson wrote:
>> I have been making wine for about 3+ years now, by using purchased grape
>> juice or wild berries. I just finished bottling blackberry wine, with
>> berries picked by my "dear old momma" (key Italian music in background).
>> I am in Wisconsin, but I decided to plant 6 vines in the backyard. They
>> have been in for about 3 years and I get plenty of grapes, but they never
>> ripen due to the fact they get overwhelmed by birds (I literally got one
>> ...1!!!.... ripe grape this year).
>> I want to put netting over the vines but my wife is afraid that the birds
>> will get caught in it. Anyone have any experience in vines and
>> protecting them? (And yes, I know the futility of trying to grow grapes
>> in Wisconsin. But I am stubborn that way.)

> Instead of netting perhaps a rigid cover such as chicken wire would be
> safer for the birds. You can also buy noise makers, hang streamers or a
> scarecrow. You might also use a scare decoy such as a plastic owl.
>
> I'd like to try growing fruits for wines and am also worried about the
> birds eating the fruit.
>
> Andrew

Birds do not get caught in the neeting - at least this has been my
experience and experience of others. Chicken wire would be difficult to
install and make maintenance of vineyard difficult. Noise makers, decoys,
streamers etc don't work for very long. In my opinion, netting is the
preferred option and not that expensive. It can be taken down and re-used
multiple times. You might consider it for your fruit trees. You can buy it
in 14 foot widths and can joing the panels together with plastic "C" hooks
if needed.