Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Andrew[_2_] Andrew[_2_] is offline

Default Grape vines and the Birds from Hell

Joel R Anderson wrote:
> I have been making wine for about 3+ years now, by using purchased grape
> juice or wild berries. I just finished bottling blackberry wine, with
> berries picked by my "dear old momma" (key Italian music in background). I
> am in Wisconsin, but I decided to plant 6 vines in the backyard. They have
> been in for about 3 years and I get plenty of grapes, but they never ripen
> due to the fact they get overwhelmed by birds (I literally got one
> ...1!!!.... ripe grape this year).
> I want to put netting over the vines but my wife is afraid that the birds
> will get caught in it. Anyone have any experience in vines and protecting
> them? (And yes, I know the futility of trying to grow grapes in Wisconsin.
> But I am stubborn that way.)

Instead of netting perhaps a rigid cover such as chicken wire would be
safer for the birds. You can also buy noise makers, hang streamers or a
scarecrow. You might also use a scare decoy such as a plastic owl.

I'd like to try growing fruits for wines and am also worried about the
birds eating the fruit.

Andrew