Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally Kate Connally is offline

Default Thanksgiving Gravy Nightmares

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sat 04 Nov 2006 06:18:44a, Nancy Young meant to say...
>

>>"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>>

>>>Hard boiled eggs seem to appear in many Southern dishes and, while I do
>>>like hard boiled eggs, I rarely like what they put them in. Case in
>>>point, a popular dish in the area where my parents grew up is "Ham and

> Egg
>
>>>Pie". It's comprised of largish bite sized pieces of country ham and

> hard
>
>>>boiled eggs layered in a pie shell with a white sauce made with milk and
>>>ham broth, covered with a top pastry and baked. It's enough to turn my
>>>stomach.

>>Wayne, the thought of how it must look ... gack. I have nothing
>>against hard boiled eggs, I even put them in my potato salad, I know
>>some people don't like that. Whatever you do, no offense meant,
>>don't let me slice into a meatloaf and see that friggin slice of egg in
>>the middle. I'm not big on that Hey, look! something's in my food!
>>thing. Heh.

> Yes, I often thought it looks like something that somebody already ate. :-
> ( I don't even like hard boiled eggs mixed in potato salad but don't mind
> them sliced as a garnish.

But hard-boiled eggs are de rigueur in classic potato
salad. Sheesh! I could see if you don't like hard-boiled
eggs at all, but I if you like them I can't see how you
wouldn't want them in potato salad. Now the pickle juice
and mustard - that's another story. Blecch! :-)

> In a meatloaf? Ugh! I was also once served a
> plate of spaghetti with meat sauce that "featured"
> a whole hard boiled egg
> sitting in the middle under the sauce. Gack!

That sounds good. I guess I just like hard-boiled eggs
just about any way, any where, any time.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”