Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thanksgiving Gravy Nightmares

Oh pshaw, on Fri 03 Nov 2006 10:07:42p, Janet B. meant to say...

> "skyhooks" > wrote in message
> Ward Abbott wrote:
>>
>> Why does everyone have horror stories about making gravy? We all know
>> how to make a perfect béchamel sauce which is the basic, classic sauce
>> technique.
>>
>> I hear these "MIL" stories and I can't comprehend WHY gravy continues
>> to be an issue.

> For some peculiar and strange reasons, my former MIL put chopped hard
> boiled egg in her milky turkey gravy. Thankfully, T-day happened once
> only at her house (whew!), and notice that "former" is the key word!
>
> Sky, who still shudders when recalling that episode of T-day
>
> I saw that on the Paula Dean show. She puts chopped hard boiled egg in
> her turkey gravy. Maybe it is a Southern tradition?
> Janet

Yes, chopped or sliced hard boiled egg is a typical addition to many a
Southerner's giblet gravy. I would always ask my grandmother to leave out
some gravy that didn't have egg.

Hard boiled eggs seem to appear in many Southern dishes and, while I do
like hard boiled eggs, I rarely like what they put them in. Case in point,
a popular dish in the area where my parents grew up is "Ham and Egg Pie".
It's comprised of largish bite sized pieces of country ham and hard boiled
eggs layered in a pie shell with a white sauce made with milk and ham
broth, covered with a top pastry and baked. It's enough to turn my
stomach.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Cats must try to kill the curlicues of ribbon on
the finished packages.