Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] beans@smithfarms.com is offline

Default 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:29:08 -0600, Del Cecchi
> wrote:

>Red wrote:
>> I talked to a brewer last year. He said the cost of sugar is so

high
>> because of the import taxes. He has sugar shipped to Canada and

processed
>> into candy. The candy is imported (not taxed as high). He then

grinds it
>> back into sugar, and costs LESS than using pure sugar. Go figure.

>no import tax on sugar. But there is a quota on the amount allowed

>be imported, so the importers make out as do the beet and cane

farmers.
> But the taxpayer doesn't get any of the excess money and and we pay
>considerably more than the world market price for sugar. Oh, and the
>High Fructose Corn Syrup guys make out too.
>
>That is why I think Life Savers are now made in Canada.

I was raised in Hawaii by sugar people. The cost of labor and land
eventually pushed 90% of Hawaii out of sugar because it could be made
so much more cheaply elsewhere. Tax payers in the US artificially
supported our local sugar industry for years.

I went to COSTCO last week, picked up a 25# bag of C&H cane sugar and
it cost $12.89. Sounds quite cheap to me.

aloha,
beans
--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona