Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joel[_1_] Joel[_1_] is offline

Default pain reliever + beer

Paul Sherwin > wrote:
>On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 14:29:21 +0000, Joel wrote:
>> I was taking modestly high doses of Ibuprofin awhile back
>> due to some inflammation in my knee. The doctor was quite
>> adamant about not mixing it with alcohol.

>You might like to ask him for an explanation sometime.

I will ask *her* if the same situation occurs. ;-)

>Many doctors advise
>alcohol abstinence when taking *any* medication, because it's easier than
>explaining the limits and possible risks, but there is no interaction
>between alcohol and ibuprofen that I'm aware of. It's possible that he was
>concerned about stomach irritation if you were taking very high doses
>(higher than OTC doses) round the clock for an extended period.

True, and this was for something like 3 times the OTC
dose. But as she didn't seem to be concerned about my
honest report of my beer intake in general, and has been
fairly open and informative about health issues, I figured
there was a good reason to abstain for a few days while
letting my knee recover. (I followed it up by attending
the National Homebrew Conference, so caught up on consumption
very quickly.)
--
Joel Plutchak

"Things just fall apart." - Now They'll Sleep (Belly)