Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joel[_1_] Joel[_1_] is offline

Default Celebration & Refrigeration

Travelin Man > wrote:
>1). Yesterday, I picked up my annual case of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.
>But this 2006 batch seems plenty different then several years past. I
>noticed very little "hoppiness". Not that it tastes bad, it doesn't. But, to
>me, it tastes, maybe, more like a straight ale, then an IPA. Has anybody
>else noticed this? Does anyone know what the IBUs are of this 2006 brew?

Just picked up my first case yesterday. Haven't taken the
opportunity to try one yet.
However, for those keeping score, I'd swear the shade of red
on the label is a bit darker than in previous years.

>2). Also, I am noticing more and more beers at the distributors that say,
>"Keep Refrigerated" or "Best Kept Refrigerated", etc. But, it appears that
>most beer distributors just put these beers out on the floor with all the
>rest, and not in the coolers. Does this have much affect on the flavor of
>these type beers? Does keeping these beers warm, instead of chilled, change
>their flavor at all? Curious mind wants to know.

Yes. Exposure to heat and light will speed the aging and
staling of any beer. Most beer does not benefit at all from
being stored warm. Celebration Ale certainly will lose flavor
faster if stored warm. The most you can do is point out the
"Keep Refrigerated" text to your local retailer, and hope they
care enough about their product and customers to pay attention.
--
Joel Plutchak

"Things just fall apart." - Now They'll Sleep (Belly)