Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default Recipe calls for "unsmoked streaky bacon"

Reg said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> Reg said...

>>>There's no such thing as "uncured bacon". If it's not cured it would
>>>be fresh pork belly, which is not what you mean, I'm sure. The product
>>>you're referring to that TJ's sells is nitrite free bacon.

>> http://www.tinyurl.com/ymdv85

> I'm aware of that, but it's purely a misnomer on their part,
> a misuse of the term "uncured". There are no regulations
> covering that specific term. They're allowed to misuse it
> any way they want, but that doesn't make it correct.
>
> Curing is done with salt. It may or may not involve
> nitrites/nitrates.
>
> Salt curing, and the very term "curing" for that matter,
> predates the use of nitrites by hundreds of years. If it
> were truly uncured it would be "fresh".
>
> So, Andy, I'm relying on you to not take part in this
> conspiracy to mislead the public

Reg,

"To make this uncured bacon, the pork bellies are dry-rubbed with a
mixture of cane sugar, maple sugar and salt. The sugar and salt tenderize
the meat, resulting in a delicious flavor. There are no nitrites or
nitrates added to preserve the bacon. Like our other bacon, this is slow
smoked over applewood for seven hours which gives it a clean, smokey
flavor. Unopened, the bacon will last for 35 days. Once you open the
package, it is best used within 3 to 5 days."

I stand corrected. That old addage rings true, "Just because they say
it's so, doesn't make it so." The Kreatives!

All the best,

Andy