Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg[_1_] Reg[_1_] is offline

Default Recipe calls for "unsmoked streaky bacon"

Andy wrote:

> Reg said...
>

>>Andy wrote:
>>

>>>Trader Joe's, the upscale market chain in the US, sells uncured
>>>bacon, hot dogs and a few other meats,

>>There's no such thing as "uncured bacon". If it's not cured it would
>>be fresh pork belly, which is not what you mean, I'm sure. The product
>>you're referring to that TJ's sells is nitrite free bacon.

> http://www.tinyurl.com/ymdv85

I'm aware of that, but it's purely a misnomer on their part,
a misuse of the term "uncured". There are no regulations
covering that specific term. They're allowed to misuse it
any way they want, but that doesn't make it correct.

Curing is done with salt. It may or may not involve
nitrites/nitrates.

Salt curing, and the very term "curing" for that matter,
predates the use of nitrites by hundreds of years. If it
were truly uncured it would be "fresh".

So, Andy, I'm relying on you to not take part in this
conspiracy to mislead the public

--
Reg