Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Bill Wolfe Bill Wolfe is offline

Default Old Yixing teapots on Ebay

HobbesOxon wrote:
> Just as Marshal said, buying yixing over the Internet is like gambling:
> you should only pay what you can comfortably afford to lose. I would
> advise that you keep your expectations low and be pleasantly surprised
> if the item turns out to be good.
>
> I've ordered from maybe four or five Mainland eBay vendors now, and the
> majority of them provide substandard goods (note, Scott @ Yunnan
> Sourcing is, as most people on here already know, very decent).
>
> About your vendor in particular: I've had a quick look at some of the
> "1900-1960s" pots and I'm not convinced. A forty year old pot is going
> to cost you much more than that, and, well, they just don't look forty
> years old.
>

> Toodlepip,
>
> Hobbes

It's striking that no contributor to this lest can vouch for this guy.
I've bought a few pots on eBay over the years. A couple turned out to
be decent brewing vessels and wound up as gifts, Others dripped or had
other functional problems and wound up in the trash. None were great
bargains, though all were cheap. The idea of picking up a decent
40-year-old pot for $60 is very appealing, but I guess I'll stick with
vendors like Brian Wright, who I know through experience or reputation.
Thanks to all who weighed in!
BW