Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default wooden cutting board sanitation

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> notbob > wrote:

>>> Repeated washings with soap and water will remove the oil as fast as
>>> you can apply it and prevent the oil from becoming rancid. As for
>>> mineral oil, I try to avoid using petroleum products for my food.
>>>
>>> nb

>> Note I said "recommended".
>>
>> Personally, I use EVOO.

> ....which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.

Yeah, well, that's the theory. You might want to smell the
pecan wood cutting board in my kitchen. My grandfather made
it more than 95 years ago. Been oiled with olive oil
forever. Only the barest hint of scent at all and it's a
good, clean food smell.

I used mineral oil once on one of my wooden boards. I didn't
like the smell and it didn't do anything better than
vegetable oils can do. There's always a lot of discussion
about rancidity in oils and I suspect that it's a distant
threat for most, not something they've actually encountered
much. In any event, rancid oil won't hurt you; it's not
toxic. Soapy water gets rid of oils, rancid or not.

Pastorio